Renault ZOE (2013-2019) practicality & boot space
There's no driver’s-seat height adjustment in the Renault ZOE, but otherwise it's a well sorted small family car
|Boot volume (seats up)
For a supermini-sized car – electric or not – the ZOE is roomy and practical. It’ll be great for a small family that does mostly short journeys.
Renault ZOE interior space, storage & comfort
Renault has placed the ZOE’s battery under the rear seats where a conventional fuel tank would go, which has left a useful amount of space and a ‘normal’ layout. There’s enough room for a couple of adults to be perfectly happy for a short journey in the back of the ZOE, even if seating position is rather high.
Access through the back doors is good too, and there’s lots of light and a good view out for kids in the back seats. Those up front will be fine, too, but with no seat-height adjustment or adjustable lumbar support, some drivers may find it difficult to get comfortable.
The ZOE’s boot is a very good size – 38 litres bigger than a Clio’s, in fact – so you’ll get plenty of stuff in there despite a big drop over the load lip. It is a shame that there’s no hidden storage for the charging cables, though, and the rear seat back doesn’t split – it folds in one large, clunky piece and leaves a big step up in the boot floor.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Renault ZOE looks great, has a long range and is golf-cart-easy to drive, making it a great first electric car
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe Renault ZOE offers impressive range, but no 50kW rapid charging
- 3Running costsThe Renault ZOE is one of the cheapest electric cars to run, regardless of whether you lease or buy the battery
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceIn R110 form, the Renault ZOE has a zippy turn of pace when Eco mode is switched off
- 5Interior & comfortThe Renault ZOE benefits from a logical dashboard, loads of equipment and excellent refinement
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThere's no driver’s-seat height adjustment in the Renault ZOE, but otherwise it's a well sorted small family car
- 7Reliability & safetyThe Renault ZOE achieved good crash-test results in 2013, but the lack of autonomous emergency city braking is quite poor