Peugeot 508 SW Hybrid boot space & seating
The 508 SW Hybrid's boot isn't the largest in the class, but still beats some premium rivals, while back-seat space is better than in the hatchback
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
You’ll likely choose the SW over the regular Fastback for its space, and in this regard the model doesn’t disappoint. While some rivals offer more voluminous cabins or boots, the 508 SW’s sporty profile still liberates plenty of room, and Peugeot has avoided any compromises from the need to stash batteries.
Peugeot 508 SW Hybrid interior space, storage & comfort
Passenger space is good, and actually better than the 508 Fastback in the back seats thanks to the SW's straighter roofline. Rear legroom is good, too, although the sleek styling still makes the rear cabin feel a little dark, thanks to narrow side windows. Those in the front get a slightly better deal, with plenty of adjustment to the seats and driving position, a cockpit-like feel from the high-tech layout, and decent visibility. There are several nooks between the seats for storing items, and reasonable door bins, too – Peugeot claims they have a capacity of 32 litres overall.
With extra length over the hatchback, and extra height to the load area, the SW pairs its hybrid efficiency with practicality. With the rear seats in place there’s 530 litres of volume, extending to 1,780 litres with the rear pews folded flat. That’s less than the enormous cavern of Skoda’s Superb iV Estate, but more than a BMW 330e Touring can manage, and Peugeot has retained a flat floor for the hybrid. It’s configurable, too, thanks to 60:40 split-folding rear seats and a ski hatch.
In This Review
- 1VerdictPractical, good looking and frugal (provided you plug it in), the 508 SW Hybrid is a compelling alternative to similarly specified SUVs
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsFuel economy depends on how frequently you plug it in, but CO2 emissions are low and driving modes make things easy
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe 508 Hybrid's road tax and company-car BiK rates will be very attractive to some customers, while Peugeot’s warranty is better than many
- 4Performance, engine & driveIts weight hampers outright performance, but the 508 SW Hybrid drives well and has composed handling
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe 508 SW Hybrid's unusual dashboard layout might deter some, but it feels high-tech, sporty and comfortable
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingThe 508 SW Hybrid's boot isn't the largest in the class, but still beats some premium rivals, while back-seat space is better than in the hatchback
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThere's no Driver Power score yet, but 508 SW's 3008 sister car received an excellent rating that should put your mind at ease