Peugeot e-208 running costs
The electric Peugeot 208 is one of the most affordable electric cars to buy and run on sale today
|Insurance group||Warranty||Service interval||2020/21 company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
The Peugeot e-208 is very well priced by electric-car standards, and is one of the cheapest pure-electric cars you can buy, undercutting both the Vauxhall Corsa-e and Renault ZOE. However, spec-for-spec comparisons make it similar on price, and finance is also likely to be comparable to these rivals (although monthly payments have yet to be confirmed).
Interestingly, Peugeot is also planning to offer a preferential hire rate for e-208 owners to access petrol or diesel 208s if they want the long-range freedom of a combustion engine for a particular trip, but we’re waiting for confirmed details of this offer.
Peugeot e-208 insurance group
The Peugeot’s insurance groups range from 26 for the entry-level car to 28 for the range-topper, which is quite a bit more than the Renault ZOE's, group 20. Unfortunately, electric cars currently tend to be a bit more expensive to insure than comparable petrol or diesel cars; do consider this if it’s going to be driven by a high-risk driver as premiums may be a little more than you expected.
The Peugeot gets a three year/60,000 mile warranty that you can pay to extend. The battery is covered for eight years/100,000 miles, and will be replaced or refurbished if it loses more than 30% of its as-new performance within that duration.
The Peugeot will tell you when it needs servicing with a message on the dashboard, and the interval can vary depending on your mileage and sort of driving you do. However, Peugeot offers well priced service plans that cost from £8 per month for three years servicing – and they're cheaper for the electric 208 than for the petrol or diesel versions.
As a zero-emissions car, the e-208 is free from road tax for the time being, and also gets free access to the London Congestion Charge zone until 2025.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe electric Peugeot 208 is a smart, grown-up package that's fun to drive and has a useful range and rapid-charging capability
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric Peugeot 208's range of 217 miles will be more than enough for most, and 100kW rapid charging is the best in the small-car class
- 3Running costs - currently readingThe electric Peugeot 208 is one of the most affordable electric cars to buy and run on sale today
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe electric Peugeot 208 is nippy enough and has deft handling that lives up to its sporty looks
- 5Interior & comfortA striking dashboard design and textural finish give the electric Peugeot 208 the edge for perceived interior quality and design appeal
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe electric Peugeot 208 has room enough for four average-sized adults, but there’s no cable storage or under-bonnet storage
- 7Reliability & safetyThe electric Peugeot 208 has good safety equipment, although others fare better in crash tests and there’s no space-saver spare wheel