Mercedes GLE costs, insurance, warranty & tax
Ultra-low company-car tax is one of the biggest reasons to choose the Mercedes GLE 350 de
|Insurance group||Warranty||Service interval||2021/22 company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
|48-49||3yrs / unlimited miles||TBC||From £880 / £1,759|
The Mercedes GLE plug-in hybrid holds great appeal for company-car users because of its low Benefit-in-Kind (BiK) rating. Although private buyers can save money on fuel, the hybrid will only be more economical than a regular petrol or diesel if you charge it up at home every night (or at work every day). The GLE’s long electric range means it sits in the 7% Benefit-in-Kind tax bracket in 2021/22, which is extremely low – all other GLE models are in the maximum 37% band.
Mercedes GLE hybrid insurance group
Insurance groups for the GLE plug-in run from 48 to 49 depending on precisely which trim level you select. That's not far off the maximum rating of 50, which is not all that surprising when you consider the GLE is a large and complex luxury car with a lot of expensive powertrain components that could cost a lot to repair.
UK buyers get a three-year/unlimited-mileage warranty on all Mercedes cars, plus a 30-year anti-corrosion warranty. You also get 30 years’ of European breakdown cover, which is fantastic.
You can buy what Mercedes calls a ServiceCare plan, which lets you pay over the course of ownership rather than when the service is due. The prices for labour and service items are guaranteed, so you won’t end up paying more. Prices are in line with other luxury brands such as BMW and Audi, though exact costs are tailored to you and your car.
GLE hybrid drivers get £10 off the normal rate of VED (otherwise known as road tax), because it’s an electrified car – an 'alternative-fuel vehicle' in government terminology. This means the basic rate you pay is £145 a year, but because of the GLE's over-£40,000 list price, a surcharge is applied the first five times you tax it, taking the annual rate to £480 a year during that time.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Mercedes GLE 350 de is a diesel-electric plug-in hybrid, bringing low company-car tax costs to the large SUV’s line-up
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe GLE 350 de has a really impressive electric range – double that of most plug-in hybrid SUVs
- 3Running costs & insurance - currently readingUltra-low company-car tax is one of the biggest reasons to choose the Mercedes GLE 350 de
- 4Performance, engine & driveA well integrated hybrid set up means good performance, and the GLE 350 de is very comfortable, too
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortA luxurious and high-tech cabin is one of the GLE 350 de's best features
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe GLE 350 de is less roomy than other models in the range due to its bulky batteries
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe GLE 350 de is safe and packed with assistance technology, but Mercedes owner-satisfaction reports are mixed