Mercedes GLE hybrid reliability & safety rating
The GLE 350 de is safe and packed with assistance technology, but Mercedes owner-satisfaction reports are mixed
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2019)||91%||90%||78%|
There’s plenty of safety kit as standard in the GLE plug-in, and strong scores in its Euro NCAP crash tests prove the large Mercedes SUV is a safe car in the event of a crash. Our only concern here is that owners of Mercedes responding to the Driver Power survey by and large say that their expectations weren’t met – so the brand may have some work to do in impressing customers in the UK.
Mercedes GLE hybrid SUV reliability & problems
The 2020 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey saw Mercedes finish a poor 28th overall out of 30 manufacturers. It was behind BMW and Audi in the poll, although not by much – it appears that German luxury brands aren’t currently meeting the high expectations of customers. There’s no reason to think that the plug-in GLE will be any less reliable than the normal diesel models, as electric powertrains have few moving parts and are generally dependable.
The independent crash-testers at Euro NCAP awarded the GLE five stars in 2019, and the car scored highly in the adult and child protection sections of the crash test procedure. All models get parking sensors, autonomous emergency braking (AEB), blind-spot monitoring, ISOFIX child-seat points in the rear seats, lane-keeping assistance, traffic-sign recognition and driver attention alerts. A 360-degree camera is standard on AMG Line Premium models and above, while a move up to the higher-spec AMG Line Premium Plus adds the Driving Assistance Package, which brings extra active safety features, and autonomous cruise control.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Mercedes GLE 350 de is a diesel-electric plug-in hybrid, adding low company-car tax costs to the large SUV’s spread of talents
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe GLE 350 de has a really impressive electric range – double that of most plug-in hybrid SUVs
- 3Running costs & insuranceUltra-low company-car tax is one of the biggest reasons to choose the Mercedes GLE 350 de over a non-hybrid equivalent
- 4Performance, engine & driveA well integrated hybrid set up means good performance, and the GLE 350 de is very comfortable, too
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortA luxurious and high-tech cabin is one of the GLE 350 de's best features
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe GLE 350 de is less roomy than other models in the range due to its bulky batteries
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThe GLE 350 de is safe and packed with assistance technology, but Mercedes owner-satisfaction reports are mixed