Mercedes GLE hybrid range, MPG, CO2 & charging
The GLE 350 de has a really impressive electric range – double that of most plug-in hybrid SUVs
|Fuel economy||CO2 emissions||Electric range||Wallbox charge time|
|313-404mpg||19-23g/km||66 miles||3hrs 15mins (10-100%, 7.4kW)|
Traditionally, large SUVs have used diesel engines because they have stronger torque and more palatable fuel economy than a petrol engine of the same size. This is partly why Mercedes has gone with diesel power for the plug-in hybrid GLE – it allows for good fuel economy when the electric motor isn’t driving the car, especially on the motorway.
Mercedes GLE hybrid range, MPG & CO2 emissions
Thanks to its 30.8kWh battery, the GLE 350 de has an electric range of 66 miles. That’s more than double what most plug-in hybrid cars are able to achieve; for example, the smaller Mercedes GLC plug-in can only travel for up to 29 miles on a full charge before the engine comes on.
The range figure is very important, as when combined with the car's official CO2 emissions of 19-23g/km, it means the GLE 350 de is in the 7% company-car Benefit-in-Kind (BiK) tax band. Other versions of the GLE are in the 37% band, which shows how much of a difference choosing a plug-in can make to running costs.
That official fuel-economy figure of around 400mpg is only going to be possible if you stick to electric power for the vast majority of your driving, but you can expect to get around 40mpg even when the battery is empty.
Mercedes says that the GLE 350 de's on-board charger allows for a top up from a standard home wallbox in three hours and 15 minutes (10-100%). Charging from a three-pin plug will be much slower, at 11-and-a-half hours. That's still quick enough for overnight charging, but clearly a wallbox will be a worthwhile investment if you're running a GLE hybrid.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Mercedes GLE 350 de is a diesel-electric plug-in hybrid, bringing low company-car tax costs to the large SUV’s line-up
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & charging - currently readingThe GLE 350 de has a really impressive electric range – double that of most plug-in hybrid SUVs
- 3Running costsUltra-low company-car tax is one of the biggest reasons to choose the Mercedes GLE 350 de
- 4Engines, drive & performanceA well integrated hybrid set up means good performance, and the GLE 350 de is very comfortable, too
- 5Interior & comfortA luxurious and high-tech cabin is one of the GLE 350 de's best features
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe GLE 350 de is less roomy than other models in the range due to its bulky batteries
- 7Reliability & safetyThe GLE 350 de is safe and packed with assistance technology, but Mercedes owner-satisfaction reports are mixed