Lexus IS 300h (2013-2020) practicality & boot space
Passengers are well catered for in the Lexus IS 300h; luggage, not so much
|Boot volume (seats up)
There’s plenty of room for four to travel in luxury and style, but the underfloor batteries in the boot mean the Lexus IS 300h can’t match traditional rivals for luggage capacity.
Lexus IS 300h interior space, storage & comfort
The Lexus IS dimensions mean it’s very similar in size to the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class. So there’s all the space you’d expect up front, where superbly comfortable seats with a wide range of adjustment make travelling a very pleasurable experience. In spite of the swoopy roofline – Lexus calls it ‘long coupe’ styling, headroom is just about acceptable in the rear, too, although not as generous as more traditionally styled saloon rivals.
Still, it’s enough to make life pretty comfortable for two large-ish adults in the back, and while this is partly due to the latest IS having thinner seatbacks and cushions than its predecessor, it’s certainly not at the expense of comfort. However, very tall people will struggle for space in the back of the IS 300h, and a third person in the middle will struggle to put their feet down either side of a big central transmission tunnel. Up front, there’s plenty of storage, with a large box under the central armrest, decent sized door pockets and a glovebox.
The IS 300h offers around 30 litres less boot space than its German rivals, with 450 litres playing 480 apiece for the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class. All the Lexus trim levels get split-folding seats, though, and access to the boot is perfectly good.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus IS 300h is a compact executive saloon that was available exclusively with petrol-electric hybrid power
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Lexus IS 300h looks clean compared to diesels, but plug-in rivals are better still
- 3Running costsGood-value pricing makes the Lexus IS 300h a solid choice, although plug-in hybrid alternatives will be much cheaper to run
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe CVT gearbox in the Lexus IS 300h frustrates an otherwise well-rounded performance
- 5Interior & comfortThe Lexus IS 300h is superbly built and supremely comfortable, but the infotainment system is fiddly
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingPassengers are well catered for in the Lexus IS 300h; luggage, not so much
- 7Reliability & safetyThe Lexus IS 300h boasts a superb safety package and top marks for reliability