Kia Sorento Hybrid reliability & safety rating
The Sorento scores highly for crash protection and safety equipment, plus the South Korean manufacturer is rated well by owners
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2020)||82%||85%||87%|
Being a family-focused SUV, the Kia Sorento needs to ensure its occupants (both big and small) will be safe should the worst happen. Happily, according to the crash-test experts at Euro NCAP, the Sorento is worthy of a full five stars out of five for crash protection.
Kia Sorento Hybrid reliability & problems
While the latest Sorento has yet to appear in the Driver Power car-ownership survey, the previous generation finished top of the 'best cars to own' list in 2020. Kia itself finished second out of 30 car manufacturers in the same survey – a position it was able to maintain in 2021’s results.. Even so, despite Kia’s seven-year warranty suggesting drivers will have many a year of trouble-free motoring, the previous-generation Sorento didn’t score all that highly for reliability and build quality.
Euro NCAP awarded the Sorento a five out of five stars for crash safety after evaluating it in 2020. The four areas Euro NCAP rates cars on are adult occupant protection, child occupant protection, vulnerable road user protection and safety assistance. The Kia scored 82%, 85%, 63% and 87% in these categories respectively.
As standard all Sorentos come with electronic stability control, trailer stability assistance, seven airbags, four ISOFIX child-seat points and impact-sensing door unlocking. Even so, there are a couple of extra features only standard on 4 trim. These include blind-spot monitoring and parking collision avoidance assistance.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Kia Sorento Hybrid offers everything a great seven-seat family SUV needs to: it's well equipped, stylish and practical
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Kia Sorento Hybrid’s official fuel economy and CO2 emissions figures are well ahead of those for diesel-engined rivals
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe big Kia Sorento offers reasonable running costs for its size, while being neither the best nor worst in its class
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe latest Kia Sorento is an undeniably large and heavy car, but the petrol engine and electric motor in the Hybrid work together to deliver decent performance
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortPlenty of standard equipment awaits anyone who travels by Kia Sorento and build quality is pretty good, too
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityWhether it's transporting people or cargo, the Sorento should have you covered – even if rivals can carry more
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThe Sorento scores highly for crash protection and safety equipment, plus the South Korean manufacturer is rated well by owners