Jaguar I-Pace review: reliability & safety rating
Given the general reliability of electric motors, the Jaguar I-Pace should be the most dependable car in carmaker's range
|5 stars (2018)
Jaguar doesn’t have the best reliability record, but given that electric powertrains have very few moving parts it’s likely the I-Pace will keep you moving, no problem. There’s also masses of safety equipment as standard and the I-Pace received the maximum five-star score in Euro NCAP's independent safety evaluation tests.
Jaguar I-Pace reliability & problems
The I-Pace sits on a unique platform and hasn’t sold in huge numbers, so there’s little owner feedback with which to judge its reliability. Jaguar as a brand came a very respectable 10th overall (out of 32 brands) in the 2023 Driver Power satisfaction survey. Given its fewer moving parts, the electric I-Pace’s motor should be more reliable than any petrol or diesel Jag – a good thing, given 44% of Jaguar owners reported a fault with their car within the first year of ownership. Of course, there are plenty of ancillary electronics and mechanical components in the suspension charging hardware that may have potential for problems, but we think the I-Pace should be relatively painless to own regardless.
Euro NCAP crash-tested the I-Pace in 2018 and awarded it the maximum five-star rating – the same as for all other Jaguars. Standard safety kit includes traffic-sign recognition, lane-keeping assistance, tiredness warning, autonomous emergency braking and a rear cross-traffic monitor. SE spec and above gets the Drive Pack, comprising blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and high-speed emergency braking.
That you can get a space-saver spare wheel on the I-Pace is a real bonus, as very few electric cars offer this; most settle for a tyre-repair kit. We'd always recommend adding one to any car. You can also pay extra to get a 360-degree view camera to assist with parking, and adaptive cruise control with steering assistance.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jaguar I-Pace remains a solid choice if you’re after an electric SUV that’s as luxurious as it is fun to drive – though rivals now offer more range and faster charging
- 2Range, battery & chargingMore modern rivals beat the Jaguar I-Pace for both range and fast charging speeds
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Jaguar I-Pace is expensive to buy, but there are still some savings to be had in terms of running costs
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe Jaguar I-Pace is still one of the best-handling electric SUVs you can buy, with sharp steering and punchy acceleration
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe I-Pace's interior is smart and modern, but there are more intuitive infotainment systems
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Jaguar I-Pace’s boot is a good size and has dedicated cable storage, and there’s plenty of space for rear passengers
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingGiven the general reliability of electric motors, the Jaguar I-Pace should be the most dependable car in carmaker's range