Jaguar I-Pace reliability & safety rating
Given the general reliability of electric motors, the Jaguar I-Pace should be the most dependable car in carmaker's range
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2018)||91%||81%||81%|
Jaguar doesn’t have the best reliability record, but given that electric powertrains have very few moving parts it’s likely the I-Pace will keep you moving, no problem. There’s also masses of safety equipment as standard and the I-Pace received the maximum five-star score in Euro NCAP's independent safety evaluation tests.
Jaguar I-Pace reliability & problems
The I-Pace is a relatively new car on an all-new platform, so there’s little owner feedback with which to judge its reliability. Jaguar as a brand came a very respectable sixth overall (out of 29 brands) in the 2022 Driver Power satisfaction survey. Given its fewer moving parts, the electric I-Pace’s motor should be more reliable than any petrol or diesel engine, although of course there are plenty of ancillary electronics and mechanical components in the suspension charging hardware that have potential for problems.
Euro NCAP crash-tested the I-Pace in 2018 and awarded it the maximum five-star rating – the same as for all other Jaguars. Standard safety kit includes traffic-sign recognition, lane-keeping assistance, tiredness warning, autonomous emergency braking and a rear cross-traffic monitor. SE spec and above gets the Drive Pack, comprising blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and high-speed emergency braking.
That you can get a space-saver spare wheel on the I-Pace is a real bonus, as very few electric cars offer this; most settle for a tyre-repair kit. We'd always recommend adding one to any car. You can also pay extra to get a 360-degree view camera to assist with parking, and adaptive cruise control with steering assistance.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe I-Pace was the first electric SUV to match a long range to serious desirability and entertaining handling – and after several years on sale, it remains a top choice
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe Jaguar I-Pace has an impressive official range, but real-world range isn't much better than you'll see in its rivals
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Jaguar I-Pace is expensive to buy, but still very competitive with its rivals on purchase and running costs
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe Jaguar I-Pace is still one of the best-handling pure-electric cars you can buy, short of the more expensive Porsche Taycan
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe I-Pace's interior is smart and modern, but there are more intuitive infotainment systems
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Jaguar I-Pace’s boot is a good size and has dedicated cable storage, and there’s plenty of space for rear passengers
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingGiven the general reliability of electric motors, the Jaguar I-Pace should be the most dependable car in carmaker's range