Triple test: Fiat 500 vs MINI Electric vs Honda e
We pit the hottest retro-inspired electric superminis from MINI, Honda and Fiat against one another to see which is best
Brands borrowing from their heritage or redesigning their most iconic models for the modern day is hardly a new trend. But now, some of the most popular, most eye-catching and arguably most interesting electric models on the market are these retro-inspired small cars that have truly captured our imaginations.
Yet these models can’t only be good at garnering likes on social media or posing on your driveway. They have to work as useable everyday electric cars, too. So, while we await the arrival of the reborn electric Renault 5 and Volkswagen ID.Buzz to further expand this category, we're pitting three of the hottest retro-inspired electric superminis – from Honda, Fiat and MINI – against one another to see if any are worth the premium price tag that their technology and style command.
Pros: Looks, interior, manoeuvrability
Cons: Range, price, small boot
Pros: Range, handling, value for money
Cons: Price, interior quality, base model poorly equipped
Pros: Sharp handling, healthy performance, as practical as petrol
Cons: Standard equipment, limited range, no five-door
Looking at the list of pros and cons for the three cars in this test, each seems to take a different approach when it comes to justifying its near-£30,000 price tag. The MINI is clearly aimed at those looking for the go-kart driving experience its petrol-powered counterpart is famed for. The Honda, on the other hand, has a technology-centric philosophy, with styling to make millennials swoon, while the Fiat adds more usable range to its appealing city-car package. Read on to find out which of these stylish electric superminis comes out on top...
In This Review
- 1Intro - currently readingWe pit the hottest retro-inspired electric superminis from MINI, Honda and Fiat against one another to see which is best
- 2Range and chargingThe Fiat reigns supreme in this area, with a 199-mile range and 85kW rapid-charging capability
- 3Performance and handlingThe Honda and Fiat are better suited to city-car life, but the MINI offers the best driving experience of the three
- 4Space and practicalityThe MINI has the largest boot, but Honda’s cleverly designed cabin features plenty of storage and its central charging point is more convenient than the others'
- 5Interior and infotainmentNothing can match the Honda e’s barrage of screens and unique interior design, but the Fiat isn't far behind
- 6Running costs and warrantyThe Fiat’s comparably low insurance group, extensive warranty and low running costs put it ahead here
- 7Safety and reliabilityWith plenty of safety kit on all these cars, the Fiat’s Level 2 autonomous driving capability sets it apart from the other two
- 8Verdict and specificationsIt’s each to their own when it comes to the styling and interiors of these cars, but the Fiat comes out on top thanks to its value for money, longer range and technology