Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 hybrid reliability & safety
The XC90 Recharge T8 combines the dependability of a regular XC90 with Volvo’s traditional focus on safety, so it makes for reassuring transport
|Euro NCAP rating||Adult protection rating||Child protection rating||Safety assist rating|
|5 stars (2015)||97%||87%||100%|
Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 reliability & problems
Volvo as a brand came an acceptable 10th in the 2020 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. The XC90 itself didn't feature, but the smaller XC60 and XC40 models finished 30th and 14th respectively out of 75 cars.
As for the hybrid system, this setup is shared across many models and in the three years they’ve been on sale, we’ve not heard any reports of failure. Of course, that eight-year warranty protects you if anything should go wrong with the batteries.
The XC90 comes as standard with plenty of safety technology, including autonomous braking with pedestrian, cyclist and large animal detection, collision warning, a system that'll help you swerve to avoid oncoming traffic if you stray into the other lane, a system that prepares the car for a crash if it senses it running off the road, plenty of airbags and whiplash protection for the seats.
This was enough to earn the XC90 five stars in its Euro NCAP crash test (pictured above), but you can also upgrade the safety systems with the £500 Blind Spot Information System, which adds steering assistance, cross-traffic alert and autonomous braking when you’re reversing. A 360-degree camera is optional as well, but it's a shame you can't have a space-saver spare tyre, as there's no room for it under the boot floor where the batteries for the hybrid system sit.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 is a plug-in hybrid SUV with decent performance, seven-seat practicality and around 30 miles' electric running capability
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Volvo XC90 Recharge offers useable electric range and therefore strong efficiency. Charging is simple, too
- 3Running costsThe XC90 Recharge isn't cheap by any stretch, but for such a powerful luxury SUV, it promises fairly low running costs
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Volvo XC90 Recharge T8 delivers strong performance and comfort, putting it up there with the best in class
- 5Interior & comfortThe XC90 Recharge T8’s interior is nicely trimmed and offers individuality alongside quality, technology, comfort and seven-seat practicality
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe XC90 Recharge T8’s huge boot and versatile seven-seat layout is one of the most practical you'll find in any plug-in hybrid
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingThe XC90 Recharge T8 combines the dependability of a regular XC90 with Volvo’s traditional focus on safety, so it makes for reassuring transport