Volvo V90 Recharge T6 hybrid interior & comfort
With one of the best interiors in its class, the Volvo V90 Recharge T6 hybrid is a comfortable place to be
The V90's interior leaves no doubt as to the quality of cars Volvo produces these days. The dashboard is elegantly designed and neatly laid-out, topped with a sharp infotainment display and bags of standard equipment. The standard Volvo On Call app gives it a strong hand when it comes to smartphone integration, too.
An early 2020 model upgrade introduced the option of man-made leather or wool-blend trim on the seats, along with an air-quality monitoring system and a pair of USB-C points for the rear seats, plus the options of wireless phone charging and an upgraded Bowers & Wilkins stereo.
Volvo V90 Recharge T6 hybrid dashboard
Since the 2015 introduction of the XC90 SUV, Volvo’s cars have been praised for their smart interior design. At the centre of this is a clutter-free dashboard and centre console featuring only essential and at-hand buttons, while a 9.3-inch portrait-orientated touchscreen infotainment system sits in the middle of the dashboard, and is standard on every model.
Material quality is superb – be in no doubt that this is a premium vehicle that feels worth its hefty price tag. Go for the R-Design trim and you can only have black leather upholstery, with a choice of either mesh metal or carbon-fibre inlays on the dashboard panel. Marking the Recharge model out as the flagship V90 is a crystalline gear selector.
Equipment, options and accessories
All Volvo V90s are well equipped. As standard, you get selectable drive modes, adaptive cruise control, Volvo’s Pilot Assist semi-autonomous driving system for motorways, parking assistance and hill-start assistance. Automatic LED headlights are also included, alongside a strong complement of standard safety and assistance features.
Inside, you’ll find dual-zone climate control and a 12.3-inch digital instrument panel teaming up with the 9.3-inch central display. Voice activation, Bluetooth and navigation is also included by default.
In addition, the Recharge T6, in both R-Design and Inscription trims, benefits from the inclusion of heated washer nozzles, a heated steering wheel, active bending headlights (which focus the beam coming from the headlights on corner exits) and a head-up display. Inscription cars add a massage feature to the driver’s seat, too.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The V90's 9.3-inch infotainment display is sharp and high-quality, and bundled with navigation as standard. The menu layouts are easy to use and the crystal-clear maps work well with the portrait orientation of the display. As of 2021, there's a new Android-based interface that includes built-in apps such as Google Maps.
Volvo’s On Call app, which allows you to control key functions of the car remotely, is standard. The app provides 24-hour access to roadside assistance, and the ability to remotely lock and unlock the car. The standard 12.3-inch digital dials can also be configured to display navigation information.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volvo V90 Recharge T8 has been replaced by the less powerful T6, now an even better package if you need low running costs and practicality
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingImpressive MPG and CO2 figures underline the Volvo V90 hybrid's day-to-day capability as a premium plug-in family car
- 3Running costsPure-electric running means short commutes can be done without burning fuel, but the Volvo V90 Recharge T6 hybrid will be expensive to insure
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe plug-in hybrid Volvo V90 Recharge T6 serves up great cross-country pace, but is more relaxing than thrilling to drive
- 5Interior & comfort - currently readingWith one of the best interiors in its class, the Volvo V90 Recharge T6 hybrid is a comfortable place to be
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe Volvo V90 T6 Recharge hybrid's boot space isn't quite on par with regular rivals, but trumps plug-in opposition
- 7Reliability & safetyVolvo equips the V90 Recharge T6 plug-in hybrid with plenty in the way of driver-assistance and safety features, and reliability should be good