Subaru XV hybrid boot space & seating
The XV hybrid's boot space is unaffected by the battery, but rivals let you put more in there in the first place
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The e-Boxer isn’t hugely practical. Subaru has managed to preserve the standard car’s 340 litres of boot space by placing the battery under the floor where the spare wheel used to be: while this will be fine for most families, rival SUVs offer more carrying capacity. The rest of the cabin is decent enough with cubbies in the usual places and trim that feels sturdier than it does classy, but others offer more inventive interior solutions.
Subaru XV hybrid interior space, storage & comfort
There’s good passenger space front and rear in the XV, and like many other Subarus, the strong but slim roof pillars and expansive glass give the interior a fairly airy feel compared to rivals.
Subaru quotes a figure of 340 litres for the XV hybrid's luggage space, and because the car’s battery occupies the spare-wheel area rather than interior volume, that number is unchanged from the regular XV (although you do, naturally, lose the spare). Flip the seats down and that expands to 1,173 litres, which is decent enough, but neither figure is class-leading.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Subaru XV e-Boxer hybrid is good to drive on and off-road, but returns poor fuel economy
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsToyota-like hybrid system doesn’t result in Toyota-like economy – this is somewhere the Subaru can't compete
- 3Running costs & insuranceCO2 emissions are fairly high and Benefit-in-Kind for the XV hybrid may be more than expected
- 4Performance, engine & driveComposed on-road handling and good off-road ability steal a march on some rivals, but the XV e-Boxer's hybrid works better at low speeds
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortIt’s not much to look at, but the XV hybrid's interior feels well constructed, while standard equipment and comfort are both strong
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingThe XV hybrid's boot space is unaffected by the battery, but rivals let you put more in there in the first place
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe XV hybrid has strong safety ratings, excellent preventative safety measures and pretty decent customer satisfaction ratings