Subaru XV hybrid practicality & boot space
The XV e-Boxer's boot space is unaffected by the battery pack beneath, but several rivals let you put more in there in the first place
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The e-Boxer isn’t hugely practical. Subaru has managed to preserve the standard car’s 340 litres of boot space by placing the battery under the floor where the spare wheel used to be: while this will be fine for most families, rival SUVs offer more carrying capacity. The rest of the cabin is decent enough with cubbies in the usual places and trim that feels sturdier than it does classy, but others offer more inventive interior solutions.
Subaru XV hybrid interior space, storage & comfort
There’s good passenger space front and rear in the XV, and like many other Subarus, the strong but slim roof pillars and expansive glass give the interior a fairly airy feel compared to rivals.
Subaru quotes a figure of 340 litres for the XV e-Boxer’s luggage space, and because the car’s battery occupies the spare-wheel area rather than interior volume, that number is unchanged from the regular XV (although you do, naturally, lose the spare). Flip the seats down and that expands to 765 litres, which is decent enough, but neither figure is class-leading.
In This Review
- 1VerdictHybrid Subaru XV e-Boxer improves SUV's fuel economy and off-road performance, but rivals offer more for less
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsPrius-like hybrid system doesn’t result in Prius-like economy; this is unfortunately an area where the XV e-Boxer lags well behind its rivals
- 3Running costsDisappointing fuel-economy figures mean road-tax and Benefit-in-Kind rates for the XV e-Boxer may be higher than expected, while warranty and servicing levels are fairly average
- 4Engines, drive & performanceComposed on-road handling and good off-road ability steal a march on some rivals, but the XV e-Boxer's hybrid setup works better at low speeds than in faster driving
- 5Interior & comfortIt’s not much to look at, but the XV e-Boxer's interior feels well constructed, while standard equipment and comfort are both strong
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThe XV e-Boxer's boot space is unaffected by the battery pack beneath, but several rivals let you put more in there in the first place
- 7Reliability & safetyThe XV e-Boxer has strong safety ratings, excellent preventative safety measures and a pretty decent Driver Power result