Renault Clio E-TECH Hybrid reliability & safety rating
Strong crash-test scores and a long warranty are plus points here; Clio E-TECH owners should have little to worry about
|5 stars (2019)
The Clio is certainly a safe car, as borne out by its five-star Euro NCAP crash-test rating. Renault’s convinced that it’ll be reliable, too, as it has now given all of its new cars a five-year/100,000-mile warranty as standard.
Renault Clio E-TECH Hybrid reliability & problems
The Clio didn’t feature in the 2022 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, but Renault as a brand came 24th out of 30 manufacturers, with strong showings for running costs, affordable servicing and insurance in particular. Overall, over 22% of owners experienced one or more faults within the first year, which is a middling result for reliability.
The latest Clio passed Euro NCAP crash-testing with flying colours in 2019, racking up the full five-star overall rating as well as a near-perfect 96% result for adult occupant protection, which is very reassuring. All Clio models get six airbags and two sets of ISOFIX points in the back seats, as well as nifty child locks that you can switch on and off using a switch in the driver’s door.
Autonomous emergency braking that can sense pedestrians and cyclists is standard, as is lane-departure warning and traffic-sign recognition that shows you what the current speed limit is. Automatic-gearbox Clio models, including the E-TECH, are offered with a semi-autonomous driving mode that allows the car to steer itself to stay in lane and keep its distance from the vehicle in front on motorways or in heavy traffic.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe hybrid Renault Clio is a quiet yet punchy small car, with good electric running potential and comfortable ride quality
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsAlthough it can't offer significant pure-electric running, the Clio hybrid nonetheless returns some pretty decent economy and emissions figures
- 3Running costs & insuranceGood fuel economy, a reasonable insurance rating and manageable company-car tax rates all count in the Clio hybrid's favour here
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe latest Clio is fundamentally a good car to drive, but the complex E-TECH hybrid drivetrain can leave it feeling a bit 'busy' in everyday motoring
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortA well finished and comfortable interior with the latest in-car technology is one of the highlights of the hybrid Clio
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Clio E-TECH Hybrid is pleasingly spacious for a supermini, with plenty of room for both passengers and luggage
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingStrong crash-test scores and a long warranty are plus points here; Clio E-TECH owners should have little to worry about