Mercedes A-Class hybrid interior, dashboard & comfort
Any niggles elsewhere are put to rest once you climb inside the Mercedes A-Class – it has one of the best interiors of any small car
Mercedes is known for its modernist, luxurious interiors and it’s an approach that has worked especially well inside the A-Class. With its great combination of space, practicality and sheer design appeal, the A-Class’ swish interior will be a major selling point for many. There’s nothing else in this class that can match it for overall desirability, even if the last degree of build quality isn’t quite up to BMW or Audi standards.
Mercedes A-Class hybrid dashboard
The centrepiece of the A 250 e’s interior is its combination of two infotainment screens. All A 250 e models come in AMG Line trim, climbing through Executive, Premium and Premium Plus versions. The standard AMG Line gets a seven-inch central screen as standard, but higher trims bring a 10.25-inch screen. Paired with a second screen behind the steering wheel, the effect is of an expansive floating infotainment display for the driver, perched atop a slickly designed dashboard set off by metal-effect vents.
Equipment, options & accessories
With SE and Sport missed out completely for the A 250 e, standard kit is pretty comprehensive – but there’s more to be had as you make your way up through the range. AMG Line Executive cars get Mercedes’ Parking Package as standard, which adds a reversing camera, active parking assistance and front and rear parking sensors, plus the aforementioned larger screen, wireless phone charging and uprated upholstery.
Premium cars add keyless entry, a larger driver’s instrument cluster, augmented reality sat nav and 64-colour ambient lighting that can be configured to your heart’s content to bathe different areas of the cabin with moody lighting. There’s also an uprated 225-watt sound system and further upgrades to interior trim.
Premium Plus sits at the top of the range and adds adaptive LED headlights, a panoramic sunroof, memory seats and traffic-sign assistance. The fully loaded Driving Assistance package is available as an option on AMG Line Premium Plus cars. We’ve detailed the highlights in the Reliability & Safety section of this review.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
As with all modern Mercedes, the A 250 e benefits from the brand’s excellent MBUX infotainment system that operates across two screens of varying sizes depending on which trim level you plump for. It’s best enjoyed across a pair of 10.25-inch screens – one of which sits behind the steering wheel – and, once you’ve got your head around some of its idiosyncrasies, you'll find an infotainment system up there with the best.
BMW’s latest system is just as good if a little less flashy, while cheaper alternatives from Kia and Hyundai still have systems that are more than slick enough for daily use. It’s worth noting that you have to step up to AMG Line Executive to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. We’re not overly convinced by the ‘Hey Mercedes’ voice-control system, either – not all of our commands were recognised.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe smallest plug-in that Mercedes makes, the A 250 e is also one of the most efficient. It's a great, if not overly exciting, company-car choice
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe claimed figures don’t quite bear up in real life, but the Mercedes A-Class hybrid is still very efficient
- 3Running costs & insurancePricey servicing detracts from the Mercedes A-Class hybrid's otherwise-frugal nature, which includes very cheap company-car tax
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Mercedes A-Class hybrid is more than fast enough, but an unrefined drivetrain and unexciting handling let it down
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingAny niggles elsewhere are put to rest once you climb inside the Mercedes A-Class – it has one of the best interiors of any small car
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Mercedes A-Class hybrid sacrifices some boot space to batteries, but it’s still a fairly practical hatchback
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA stellar safety rating should bring peace of mind for Mercedes A-Class hybrid buyers, as should decent owner feedback