Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid range, MPG, CO2 & charging
A useful electric range and low CO2 emissions make the Volvo S90 Recharge a potentially very cost-effective way of getting around
|Wallbox charge time
Volvo’s model range was designed with electrification in mind, so the S90 Recharge T8 is a no-compromise plug-in hybrid. Short daily commutes to the office or train station can be completed in pure-electric mode, while home charging can take as little as five hours.
Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid range
Volvo claims it’s possible to travel up to 55 miles on electric power in the S90 Recharge, but it’s best to take this figure with a pinch of salt. Achieving this will require a light foot, a fully charged battery and flat roads. The range will drop in the winter, if your journey includes hills or faster main roads, and if you make use of some of the car’s features, such as the heated seats and climate control.
Depending on the type of journeys you do, the S90 Recharge can in theory offer the best of both worlds. A zero-emission commuting vehicle for trips to the station or office during the week, and a spacious family car for longer trips at weekends.
The S90 Recharge has an 18.8kWh lithium-ion battery and can be charged from a household socket using the 4.5-metre charging cable supplied. The charging point can be found on the nearside front wing. Fully charging using a standard three-pin plug will take around eight hours.
You can also buy a 4.5-metre Type 2 charging cable for access to public rapid chargers. But a 3.7kW on-board charger as standard means the S90 can charge no faster than that speed, so even when plugged into a 50kW charger, it'll take five hours or more to fully charge.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 offers big executive-saloon practicality, a beautiful interior, low CO2 emissions and useful electric range
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & charging - currently readingA useful electric range and low CO2 emissions make the Volvo S90 Recharge a potentially very cost-effective way of getting around
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 offers big saloon-car practicality and a beautiful interior, but the diesels are as economical and cheaper to buy
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 delivers an impressive amount of power, but its size and weight blunt performance
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThis is an area where the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 really excels. The interior is beautifully made, exquisitely detailed and supremely comfortable
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityFor a saloon, the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid feels very spacious, with an impressive 500 litres of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety ratingPeace of mind comes as standard in the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid, which is one of the safest cars in the world