Citroen e-C4 reliability & safety
There's not much official data to go on yet, but the e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well
The Citroen e-C4 is a bit too new to have been crash-tested by Euro NCAP or accrued any real-world reliability data just yet. Its underpinnings are now pretty familiar to us, however; the same mechanicals feature underneath just about every other electric car from the wider Stellantis group, including the Peugeot e-2008 and Vauxhall Corsa-e. Those cars performed strongly in Euro NCAP crash tests, so the Citroen should follow suit.
Citroen e-C4 reliability & problems
There's no reliability data available for the new C4 or the e-C4 specifically, but in the 2020 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey Citroen itself achieved an 18th place finish out of 30 manufacturers. Of those surveyed, 17.2% reported experiencing a fault with their car – a number that's slightly higher than average.
However, it's worth noting that many of the cars featured will not have been built on Citroen's most modern platform, and very few will have been electric. We reckon the e-C4 will be a safe enough choice when it comes to reliability.
The e-C4 hasn't been crash-tested by Euro NCAP yet, but we've no reason to expect a bad score – other models based on the same platform all get five-star ratings. The e-C4 gets a good amount of safety and driver assistance systems: all get the 'Safety Pack Plus' option that adds traffic-sign recognition, driver attention warning, lane-departure detection, forward collision warning and improved autonomous emergency braking.
In This Review
- 1VerdictCitroen's first proper go at an electric family car has been successful, offering good all-round ability with a unique character
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe e-C4's relative lack of range versus some rivals is countered by good charging capability
- 3Running costsThe e-C4 should be a cheap car to run, much like other electric cars of this size
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe e-C4 comfortable and has sufficient performance, but we'd prefer a more controlled driving experience
- 5Interior & comfortPractical, comfortable and with decent infotainment, there's plenty to like inside the e-C4
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThat interesting shape hasn't had an undue impact on the e-C4's practicality
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingThere's not much official data to go on yet, but the e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well