Citroen e-C4 reliability & safety rating
There's not much solid reliability data to go on yet, but the Citroen e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|4 stars (2021)||76%||83%||63%|
The Citroen e-C4 is a bit too new to have accrued any real-world reliability data just yet. Its underpinnings are now pretty familiar to us, however; the same mechanicals feature underneath just about every other electric car from the wider Stellantis group, including the Peugeot e-2008 and Vauxhall Corsa-e.
Citroen e-C4 reliability & problems
There's no reliability data available for the new C4 or the e-C4 specifically, but in the 2020 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey Citroen itself achieved an 18th place finish out of 30 manufacturers. Of those surveyed, 17.2% reported experiencing a fault with their car – a number that's slightly higher than average. However, it's worth noting that many of the cars featured will not have been built on Citroen's most modern platform, and very few will have been electric. We reckon the e-C4 will be a safe enough choice when it comes to reliability.
The e-C4 received a four-star rating in Euro NCAP crash tests in early 2021, with a 76% rating for adult occupant protection and 83% for child protection. It gets a good amount of safety and driver assistance systems: all get the 'Safety Pack Plus' option that adds traffic-sign recognition, driver attention warning, lane-departure detection, forward collision warning and improved autonomous emergency braking.
In This Review
- 1VerdictCitroen's first proper go at an electric family car is a successful one, offering good all-round ability with a unique character
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe e-C4's relative lack of range versus some rivals is countered by good charging capability
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Citroen e-C4 should be a very cheap car to run, much like other electric cars of this size
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe e-C4 comfortable and has sufficient performance, but we'd prefer a more controlled driving experience
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortPractical, comfortable and with decent infotainment, the Citroen e-C4 offers plenty to like inside
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThat interesting shape hasn't had an undue impact on the e-C4's practicality
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThere's not much solid reliability data to go on yet, but the Citroen e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well
- 8Living with itWe put Citroen's electric family hatchback through its paces in the real world with a long-term test