Renault Megane Sport Tourer E-TECH hybrid (2020-2022) performance, top speed & engine
There are faster plug-in hybrids on the market, but the Megane offers a reasonably comfortable driving experience
The Renault Megane E-TECH is comfortable, even if you choose a model with the larger 18-inch alloy wheels. Larger wheels can often cause cars to crash into bumps and potholes harshly, but that’s not the case here, which is good because the bigger alloys do look more attractive than the 16-inch wheels on the entry-level car.
Renault Megane hybrid 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
The combined power output of the 1.6-litre engine and electric motor is 158bhp, which means the Megane E-TECH goes from 0-62mph in 9.8 seconds. That’s not exactly going to get your heart racing, but it’s a bit quicker than the diesel models. The torquey electric motor means it feels nippy from low speeds, though. Top speed is 111mph, so the Megane won’t appeal to those spending time on the German autobahns, but it’s not a problem in the UK.
In electric mode, the Megane is comfy and quiet inside, so it’s a relaxing car to spend time in even if you’re in traffic on the commute. In fact it’s probably at its best here, as a serene but sensible way to get around.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThose after a spacious and cheap-to-run family car should take a close look at the Renault Megane plug-in hybrid estate
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe hybrid Megane estate has the typically low running costs of a plug-in hybrid, but it's not class-leading in this respect
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning costs are par for the plug-in hybrid course with the Megane hybrid estate, and as always, it's company car users who stand to benefit most
- 4Performance, engine & drive - currently readingThere are faster plug-in hybrids on the market, but the Megane offers a reasonably comfortable driving experience
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Megane estate hybrid's interior isn't at the cutting edge of the class, but it's reasonably comfortable, sturdy and well equipped
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityEstate is the only bodystyle option for now, which makes the Megane hybrid a very practical choice by default
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA long warranty and strong crash-test results bode well for the Megane hybrid in these areas