Renault Arkana E-TECH Hybrid reliability & safety rating
Renault's performance in the 2021 Driver Power survey, and the Arkana's five-star Euro NCAP score, are reassuring
|5 stars (2019)
Due to the similarities under the metal between the Arkana and the more conventional styled Captur, the French brand’s coupe-SUV inherits its sister car’s five-star Euro NCAP rating. It also gets a good amount of safety kit as standard. Renault’s good performance in the 2021 Driver Power survey bodes well for the Arkana when it comes to the long-term ownership experience, too.
Renault Arkana E-TECH Hybrid reliability & problems
The Arkana hasn’t been on the road long enough for any long-term reliability data to emerge. In the 2021 Driver Power customer survey, Renault finished mid-table, coming 20th out of the 30 best car manufacturers ranked, while the Arkana’s sister car – the Captur – was 37th on the list of best new cars to own. Around 13% of Captur owners reported experiencing a fault with their cars.
All Arkanas come as standard with safety features like traffic-sign recognition, lane-departure warning and active emergency braking. Upgrading to the S Edition trim and above adds a rear-view camera plus front and rear parking sensors, as well as other safety kit including adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
In This Review
- 1VerdictRenault's hybrid-engined coupe-SUV may not have the performance to match its sporty styling, but it's well equipped and returns fuel economy to rival the best diesels
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsWhile not as efficient as a plug-in hybrid, the Arkana can still return decent fuel economy when you’re relying more on the electric motors than the petrol engine
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Arkana has a lengthy warranty, reasonable insurance ratings and manageable company-car tax rates, although a plug-in hybrid will be even cheaper to run
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Arkana E-TECH’s engine and transmission stand out as its biggest weak points, despite its efficiency and how refined it feels in electric mode
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortA solid, functional cabin is one of the Arkana’s redeeming features, however, it’s the same cabin you’ll find in almost all modern Renaults
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Arkana is unusual in the sense that it offers decent practicality, including a good-sized boot, despite a rakish roofline
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingRenault's performance in the 2021 Driver Power survey, and the Arkana's five-star Euro NCAP score, are reassuring