BMW iX boot space, seating & practicality
While boot space isn’t as generous as we might like, the iX’s cabin is spacious and airy, with plenty of space on offer
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The iX was designed from the ground up as an electric car, using a brand-new platform not shared with any other model in the BMW line-up. It gets all the benefits of an EV-dedicated platform, chief among which is much more interior space than an equivalent combustion-engined car.
BMW iX interior space, storage & comfort
The iX’s cabin feels very spacious and airy thanks to a completely flat floor, the lack of a transmission tunnel and the large panoramic glass roof. Measuring very nearly five metres from end to end, and with a three-metre wheelbase between the axles, the iX is certainly not short on space. Adults can stretch out no matter where they're sitting, with a generous amount of both leg and headroom in the rear, so even those over six feet tall should have no complaints.
The iX doesn't have a ‘frunk’ or any storage space under the bonnet, but it still has a sizable 500-litre boot, which is on par with what the plug-in hybrid BMW X5 and electric Mercedes EQC offer. But it does fall short of the 660-litre boot in the Audi e-tron, as well as the vast, seven-seat interior of the Tesla Model X.
In This Review
- 1VerdictBMW's flagship electric SUV has love-it-or-hate-it styling, but to drive, the iX is a thoroughly impressive all-rounder that gives the Tesla Model X a run for its money
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe BMW iX boasts an impressive range of up to 380 miles, however it can't rapid-charge quite as fast as the Tesla Model X, or some other less expensive EVs
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe iX has a hefty price tag, but the flagship SUV promises the same low running costs you’d expect from any electric car, especially if you’re a company-car driver
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe BMW iX offers the strong straight-line performance you’d expect from a luxury electric SUV, but its supreme refinement, comfort and handling are what set it apart from the competition
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortFuturistic cabin design and superb interior quality help justify the iX’s high price, although the infotainment system can be overwhelming at times
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingWhile boot space isn’t as generous as we might like, the iX’s cabin is spacious and airy, with plenty of space on offer
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe iX’s wealth of technology and safety features, paired with a five-star Euro NCAP rating, should reassure potential owners