Volvo XC40 Recharge range, battery & charging
The electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
|Range||Battery size||Wallbox charge time||Rapid charge time|
|259 miles||78kWh||12hrs (0-100%, 7kW)||40mins (10-80%, 150kW)|
The XC40 Recharge is only available with one battery size right now: the same 78kWh battery as the Polestar 2 it shares underpinnings with. But the Polestar can go further – and so can other, less expensive electric SUVs like the Kia e-Niro. However, the electric XC40’s rapid-charging capability slightly makes up for its shortcomings in the range department.
Volvo XC40 Recharge range
Volvo claims the dual-motor XC40 Recharge Twin is capable of 259 miles on a single charge, which in theory puts it level with the standard-range version of the Ford Mustang Mach-E and within 20 miles of the standard-range Tesla Model 3. But when we tested the electric XC40 we only saw around 200-230 miles, which is almost the same as the entry-level Audi Q4 e-tron is expected to do – for £10,000 less. But if you don’t commute vast distances or plan on using the electric XC40 for long road trips very often, it should be plenty for most drivers.
The XC40 Recharge is capable of charging at up 150kW from a rapid charger, which will add 221 miles of range in 20 minutes, or take on an 80% charge in just 40 minutes. If you can’t find a charging point that fast, the Volvo takes around an hour and a quarter to charge to 80% from one of the more common 50kW stations. You’re more likely to be charging the XC40 at home, which can take up to 12 hours from a 7.4kW wallbox if you’ve run the battery completely flat. But if your home has a three-phase electricity supply, you could install an 11kW wallbox, which will charge the XC40 in roughly seven-and-a-half hours.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & charging - currently readingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costs & insuranceAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Performance, motor & driveStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here