Volvo XC40 Recharge costs, insurance, warranty & tax
Affordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
|Insurance group||Warranty||Service interval||2021/22 company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
|41-42||3yrs / 60,000 miles||2yrs / 18,000 miles||From £106 / £212|
Insurance premiums are often higher for electric cars because of the expected costs if something were to go wrong. But with less components to go wrong, they also require less frequent maintenance; they're exempt from the London Congestion Charge and other clean-air zone charges, too.
Volvo XC40 Recharge insurance group
Entry-level XC40 Recharge Twin models are insurance group 41, while higher-spec Twin Plus and Twin Pro models sit in insurance group 42. Both figures are far higher than any of the petrol, hybrid or plug-in hybrid XC40s, as petrol-engine XC40s can sit in insurance groups as low as 22, so it's still a noticeable increase for the electric Recharge variant.
The XC40 Recharge comes as standard with Volvo’s three-year/60,000-mile warranty, while the batteries are covered against degradation by an eight-year/100,000-mile guarantee. You can get an extended warranty for the XC40 Recharge with Volvo Cover Options, extending the cover by up to four years or an additional 60,000 or 80,000 miles.
With few moving components, electric cars don’t need maintenance as often as combustion engined cars: this can be seen in the XC40 Recharge's two-year/18,000-mile recommended interval.
Like all fully zero-emissions cars, the Volvo XC40 Recharge is currently liable for zero UK road tax (also known as Vehicle Excise Duty, or VED). That could change in the near future as the proportion of electric cars on the road continues to increase and the government looks to make up the shortfall in revenue.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costs & insurance - currently readingAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Performance, motor & driveStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here