Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 reliability & safety
Simple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2018)||97%||87%||76%|
Volvo and safety are two words that go together very naturally. Like many of its predecessors, the electric XC40 is packed with lots of safety features, while the petrol version performed exceptionally well when it was put through Euro NCAP crash-testing.
Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 reliability & problems
The XC40 P8 has just launched, so owners haven’t really had a chance to test the reliability of their cars. But you needn’t worry: Volvo performed well in the most recent Driver Power owner satisfaction survey – placing 10th in the top 30 manufacturers rundown. One of the few complaints Volvo owners listed was in regards to running costs, and that’s unlikely to be cause for concern here.
Volvo has always been a byword for safety and the XC40 is no different. Back in 2018, the regular XC40 received a five-star rating in Euro NCAP tests, with a 97% score for adult occupant protection and 87% for child protection.
Volvo has packed plenty of safety kit into the XC40 P8, including a 360-degree parking camera, blind-spot monitoring and a steering wheel that vibrates if you drift out of lane. Volvo’s safety assistance will also apply the brakes if it detects oncoming traffic, pedestrians or animals and you don’t react.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costsAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here