Volvo XC40 Recharge performance, top speed, motor
Stunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
|0-62mph||Top speed||Driven wheels||Power|
The XC40 Recharge’s fantastic refinement makes it a very relaxing motorway cruiser. While it isn’t as quiet as an Audi e-tron, it’s not far off. There’s very little noise from the motor and wind and road noise are kept in check, too. Plus, for a relatively small car, it can certainly shift.
Volvo XC40 Recharge 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
The Volvo XC40 Recharge is currently only available with the dual-motor Twin powertrain that uses two electric motors and produces a total of 402bhp. With that much power on tap, this compact family SUV can go from 0-62mph in just 4.9 seconds. That shove is available instantly, too – just put your foot down and the XC40 takes off. Unfortunately, the single powertrain option available at the moment does contribute to the high starting price, but, we expect a less potent and hopefully more affordable electric variant of the XC40 Recharge to arrive later on.
There are two levels of brake energy recuperation: a coasting mode and a setting to choose how much regenerative braking you want when you lift off the throttle, so one-pedal driving as in the Honda e or Nissan Leaf is also possible.
The suspension of the XC40 Recharge has been tuned for comfort, so more often than not you just sit back and relax, making it a fantastic commuter and motorway cruiser. But off the motorway, you notice that the XC40 isn’t as sharp to drive as a Jaguar I-Pace or even its sister model the Polestar 2, so you don’t feel compelled to exploit all that power you have on tap.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costs & insuranceAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Performance, motor & drive - currently readingStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here