Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 electric motor, drive & performance
Stunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
|0-62mph||Top speed||Driven wheels||Power|
The XC40 P8’s fantastic refinement makes it a very relaxing motorway cruiser. While it isn’t as quiet as an Audi e-tron, it’s not far off. There’s very little noise from the motor and wind and road noise are kept in check, too. Plus, for a relatively small car, it can certainly shift.
Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
With two electric motors producing 402bhp to call on, this compact family SUV can go from 0-62mph in just 4.9 seconds. That shove is available instantly, too – just put your foot down and the XC40 takes off. There’s only that one powertrain option available at the moment, which does contribute to the high starting price. But we expect a less potent and hopefully more affordable electric variant of the XC40 to arrive later on.
There are two levels of brake energy recuperation: a coasting mode and a setting to choose how much regenerative braking you want when you lift off the throttle, so one-pedal driving as in the Honda e or Nissan Leaf is also possible.
The suspension of the XC40 Recharge P8 has been tuned for comfort, so more often than not you just sit back and relax, making it a fantastic commuter and motorway cruiser. But off the motorway, you notice that the XC40 isn’t as sharp to drive as a Jaguar I-Pace or even its sister model the Polestar 2, so you don’t feel compelled to exploit all that power you have on tap.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costsAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Electric motor, drive & performance - currently readingStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safetySimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here