Citroen e-C4 range, battery & charging
The e-C4's relative lack of range versus some rivals is countered by good charging capability
|Range||Battery size||Wallbox charge time||Rapid charge time|
|217 miles||50kWh||7hrs 30mins (0-100%, 7.4kW)||30mins (10-80%, 100kW)|
It's not the longest-range electric family car on sale, but the e-C4 strikes a good balance between battery size and charging time that helps make it a practical option all the same. With over 200 miles on a charge, there's more than enough for a few days' commuting and school runs, while the speedy charging options should keep you on the go if you're ever caught short and need to use a public charger. The e-C4 comes as standard with a Mode 3 charging cable with Type 2 connectors, with space for storage under the boot floor.
Citroen e-C4 range
The e-C4’s 50kWh battery is now a familiar sight on the spec sheets for just about every other Citroen, Peugeot and Vauxhall electric car. Range in this case tops out at a claimed 217 miles, which is down on the 260-odd miles of the Volkswagen ID.3 and 282 miles of the Kia e-Niro.
Still, it's plenty for the average use that most family cars see, with the 100kW charging enhancing long-distance ability if you don't mind a stop at a rapid charger for half an hour.
The majority of electric-car owners are likely to have an accompanying home wallbox installed, and so can enjoy a seven-and-a-half hour charge time from their e-C4 – perfect for an overnight top-up. If you have a three-phase electricity supply at home, an on-board 11kW charger can be optioned for £300 to take advantage of a quicker home wallbox.
In This Review
- 1VerdictCitroen's first proper go at an electric family car is a successful one, offering good all-round ability with a unique character
- 2Range, battery & charging - currently readingThe e-C4's relative lack of range versus some rivals is countered by good charging capability
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Citroen e-C4 should be a very cheap car to run, much like other electric cars of this size
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe e-C4 comfortable and has sufficient performance, but we'd prefer a more controlled driving experience
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortPractical, comfortable and with decent infotainment, the Citroen e-C4 offers plenty to like inside
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThat interesting shape hasn't had an undue impact on the e-C4's practicality
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThere's not much solid reliability data to go on yet, but the Citroen e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well
- 8Living with itWe put Citroen's electric family hatchback through its paces in the real world with a long-term test